Here we go! In 2013, I embarked on a 40 day water fast for a myriad of reasons and have continued to do so each year since. Beginning January 1, I will be participating in a 21 day fast with others who have asked for further information. Due to the holiday I was not able to present everything as I wanted to properly prepare everyone, but it is possible to start NOW. With that said, the following is the necessary information to begin and each day I will share information abut my fast as well as what can be expected for the next day(s). Please leave comments and questions so we can discuss as well as support each other.
Today is crucial. Although you may not have started tapering off your food intake until right now, it is alright. As of this moment:
- Increase your water intake
- Drink all the fresh fruit and vegetable juices you like especially the dark greens.
- Eliminate dairy products, eggs refined flour products and sweets.
- Do not use any caffeine, alcohol, stimulants or recreational drugs.
- Do not eat any fried foods.
- Use mild herbal teas. One or two cups of the right herbal tea may support the purification and best possible function of your body.
- Clean out your kitchen of all the addictive foods in the cabinets and refrigerator, if possible.
What else do you need to do?
Before you run out to buy water, clean out the kitchen, or anything else sit down with a glass of water. Yes, grab a glass of water with a piece of paper and a pen. When you sit down write down what you want to get from a water fast. Water fasting isn’t for everyone, nor is it appropriate at all times. The more toxic your body is, the more intense your discomfort will be in those early days if you haven’t properly prepared. Additionally, write down your daily schedule for bedtime, rest during the day (even if it is 10 minutes of sitting still), and other things that will allow you to be in a resting state. Writing down your purpose for fasting, what you want to see, and keeping it in mind will help you when he fast begins and you start doubting your will to continue. Remind yourself why you are doing the fast and remember that it is important.
Over the next 3 weeks I will share with you some things you might want to purchase or things that will help during this process. The first things I know you will need is a purpose statement for yourself. What is your “why?” Then, run out to get:
- A tongue scraper: This will be an amazing life saver for you. Why? During a water fast your body is eliminating toxins and the mouth is an orifice through which those toxins will be released. And it is not pleasant. A tongue scraper is more effective at removing toxins and bacteria from the tongue than a toothbrush. Although brushing and flossing will loosen and move debris around, they do not actually remove the bacteria. DO NOT purchase a scraper that is flavored, if you can help it. *NOTE:* I do not recommend brushing teeth with toothpaste during a fast because the taste may be unbearable. Additionally, you are detoxing and adding toothpaste is presenting toxins back into the body.
- Gallons of Distilled Water: Water fasters are advised to consume one to two quarts per day of the purest water available or to use distilled water. (While distilled water is not good for everyday consumption, it is good during a fast for its increased ability to bind to toxins.)
- Water Bottles: Have personal water bottles available so you can fill them. You may want to write in permanent marker on them to encourage yourself, speak to the water the words you write, and write how many ounces the bottles are so you know how much you are consuming.
- Notebook: Why? Well, I use a notebook to write about my experiences, thoughts, and things I see about myself. Fasting is a time of slowing down that brings the opportunity to reconnect with self, passions, and realize automatic actions that you may not pay attention to at another time. Write them down. If you are adding in spiritual components write prayers, verses, gosho quotes, or whatever else encourages you in the notebook.
- Measurements & Weight: Many of us are also going to see changes on the scale and in the fit of clothing regularly. Be sure to take your measurements today or tomorrow morning and write it in your notebook. Women and men you can go here to get measurement instructions.
You may want to watch this video from January of last year giving instruction for water fasting along with other tidbits:
I will be publishing a new post later today about the benefits of water fasting and more information. Please feel free to leave questions!