What do you do with those leftovers in the fridge? Here is something that you can do that is simple and tasty. I looked in the fridge to see what I could whip up and found the following:
- bok choy
- leftover brown rice
- Applewood smoked bacon
What do I do? Make a soup! Soup it is. And here is how easy it was to make.
- 2 strips of bacon sliced
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 1 carrot sliced
- remaining bok choy (about 5 small stalks with leaves)
- 2 c. brown rice
- 1.5 c. milk
- 2.5 c. water
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook bacon with about 2 Tbsp. of oil for approximately 15 minutes, on medium heat.
2. Add onions. Sweat the onions out. Add oil if needed to create flavor and stop the meat from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Cook for 8 minutes.
3. Add carrots and celery. Cook for approximately 10 minutes.
4. Add milk. Cook for 5-6 minutes on medium.
5. Add water. Cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add rice. Cook for 10-12 minutes covered.
*I was making bean pie and added the last 2 cups of navy beans.
7. Chop the leaves of the bok choy, add salt and pepper.
Let it sit for a little to allow the bok choy to soften. You can taste and add the ingredients or spices you would like to make it your own.